Tuesday, July 27, 2010

An Automobile Among Cars

The result of being born a man has therefore given me a predisposition to an addiction with automobiles. Being brought up in the 80's didn't really give me a fabulous opportunity to experience the art of the automobile like those being raised in different eras. Now, there surely are a few cars from the 80's that are worth mention, but for a large portion of that period of time and even into the early 90's the "art" of the automobile was lost. It was, however, a picture of "Refrigerator Perry" - for a Kangaroos Shoes advertisement - sitting on a Lamborghini Countach that sparked my fascination with Lamborghini and automobiles in general.

I still hold Lamborghini very high in my obsession with cars, but my tastes have matured and expanded to include other great manufacturers. I personally own a BMW and believe that they are truly "the ultimate driving machine," at least for my price range. One day I hope that a huge personal injury settlement may be able to provide me the necessary funds to purchase my new favorite dream car: the 2010 Bugatti C Galibier. (Photo by Top Speed)

Bugatti is truly an automobile among cars. With the current production line having not more than three-four makes, Bugatti shows how successful one can be when they forsake quantity and focus on quality. Many of you who know of Ralph Lauren are also familiar with the fact that the man is a true connoisseur of automobiles. So much so that a portion of his fleet was featured in a recent - few years - art show. Among his pieces the 1938 Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic is truly beautiful and serves as a harsh reminder of how much has been lost in the way of automobile design. The new Galibier draws on styling from the '38. This is a common theme among automobile manufacturers as they come to the realization that - like many things - if it's not broke, don't fix it . . . but you may make improvements. Only new materials and technology available to automobile manufacturers that improve on the excellence of our most favored designs should be making their way into the production lines, save the occasional masterpiece in the design department.

Behold, the perfect automobile:

2 comments:

  1. Yes, exquisite. So much so that I'd be afraid to drive it. Wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if I was driving it we must assume I could afford it and whatever repairs it may require. In that sense, I would not hesitate. You don't buy a mansion and worry about the heating bill, you know?

    ReplyDelete